Monday, April 7, 2014

My Favorite Rare and Retired Lego Sets

I seriously can't get enough of LEGO. They were, hands down, my favorite toy growing up. And since I work at a toy store, I'm knee deep in Hobbit Lego, star wars Lego, city sets, Heartlake Friends sets, etc, it's awesome! So I decided to take up the quest of finding the most valuable Lego sets in the world.

There are some great LEGO sites out there, like Brick Picker , The Plastic Brick Blog, and the Eurobrick forum, which combined are great sources for Lego history, rare sets, value, you name it. There was a good amount to choose from, so I just narrowed down the top 4 to my personal favorites in no particular order. For the time being that is; I think this list is definitely subject to change :)

It's the Ewok Village! I remember the Ewok Village my brother and I had back in the late 1980s - This newer version of a LEGO classic comes with even more odds and ends to recreate one of the most awesome scenes of the Return of the Jedi!

This the LEGO set I want! Retailing at around $300 (yikes!), this impressive set recreates the amazing architecture of the renown Sydney Opera House.

I love the Dumbledore office LEGO set! Harry Potter legos have a great color scheme to them as well; I sort of want to combine them with that Ewok set above. I found this retired set on Brickpicker, with an estimated market value of over $130. Another popular, retired Harry Potter LEGO set is Hogwarts Castle; this 2001 set commands a current market value of $240.

This small Indiana Jones LEGO set from 2008 is pretty popular with Lego buyers these days. Recreating a familiar Indiana Jones Motorcycle chase, I definitely would have begged my mom for this if I were kid back in 08' - Reminds of the motorcycle chase from The Last Crusade.

LEGO is definitely here to stay, so it's fun to think about what the future holds for rare and collectible LEGO sets. Star Wars sets definitely dominates the LEGO collectors world, however sets like Disney's Toy Story LEGO are in demand since the third film was the final installment of the popular animated trilogy. And we can't forget about the insanely popular Minecraft Lego sets, the new Mixel figures, and of course, Duplo!

No comments:

Post a Comment